Friday, October 27, 2006

Setting the record straight ...

Do mothers still matter? This is the question Jim Schembri asks in the Melbourne Age this morning.

Having met a female friend who felt that her role as a mother no longer had the same relevance attached to it by society, Schembri gives a fighting response.

He thinks that it is a "crazy world" which treats motherhood this way. He writes in defence of having children that,

The upside of having kids is that you get to look into the eyes of a child and say: "This came from me."


Nor does he lose his nerve when identifying why society doesn't value motherhood as being of core significance:

Many people blame feminism for promoting the concept that motherhood runs a poor second to a career of boardrooms and paper jams. And I do too. (Feminism is still a good idea. It just needs to be digitally remastered to include women.) [Do mothers still matter? 27/10/06]


And all this in the leftish-liberal Age. More evidence, I think, that feminism is losing its sway.

4 comments:

  1. I was going to comment but then I saw the word verification and so I didn't (sort of).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark

    I know this is out of context but I am trying to contact a Mark Richardson who I went to school with. Mark would be around 42 and wondering if you may be him. Did you live in Swan Hill once.
    Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, sorry, wrong Mark. I'm a bit younger and have never lived in Swan Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mark, thanks for letting me know. I will keep searching.

    Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete